Craving something special? Try this delicious and nutritious spin on the classic grilled cheese sandwich – Grilled Cheese with Spinach and Artichokes! Follow our simple recipe for a cheesy, melty masterpiece that’s sure to satisfy. Whether it’s lunchtime or snack time in your household, this delicious dish is sure to please everyone!
Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese: Total Delight!
This savory meal consists of two slices of your favorite bread, spread with butter or mayonnaise and topped with shredded white American cheese. Combining garlicky, sauteed baby spinach and chopped artichoke hearts with a hint of whipped cream cheese and generous amounts of creamy mozzarella cheese, this Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese Sandwich is an gooey, cheesy delight!
This grilled cheese variation has all the deliciousness you know and love, but also adds a nutritional punch from the vegetables included.
You can serve it on its own as a snack or lunchtime treat, or pair it with tomato soup for a cozy meal in minutes.
What To Put The Cheese Between In?
While the filling in this dish is very clear, there is no certainty about the cheese base. For the most mouthwatering grilled cheese sandwich, one must always begin with selecting the perfect bread base. The bread base acts as the vessel that binds all of the delicious filling ingredients together.
On this issue, the opinions of grilled cheese fans are very much divided. Some believe that it is best to put the filling of cheese and artichokes between Italian focaccia, preferably homemade, while others vote for oriental pita. Still some fans insist on the traditional version – two slices of wheat bread. And the adherents of a healthy lifestyle persuade to give preference to whole grain bread from mixed grains.
Those, who love focaccia, claim it is remarkably sturdy, making it an ideal choice to support a generous filling. Its exterior saturated in olive oil also adds a delightful crispness that accentuates its flavor. If you’re seeking a different type of bread for this recipe, apply butter on each slice to obtain the perfect golden brown crunchy exterior. An alternative option is to stuff this mixture into a tortilla and prepare it as if you were making a quesadilla!
Pita as a bread base is an incredible game-changer when it comes to making amazing sandwiches! With pita bread, you can have a blast creating delicious sandwiches that are so much fun to eat. The pocket made by the round shape is ideal for stuffing all sorts of flavorful fillings.
Not only does the pita provide enough substance to hold your ingredients together, but also offers that delicious crunchy texture you desire. Beyond its flavorsome qualities, these pitas are soft and fluffy and can be made quite easily too.
If it’s too delicate and weak then there is a risk of everything spilling out! On the other hand, when you use a thick and hearty bread this makes it hard for the cheese to melt inside.
If you prefer to use a wheat or whole-wheat bread, look for a nice, sturdy bread such as sourdough. For the perfect grilled cheese sandwich, slice it between ¼-inch and ½-inch thick. This will give your sandwich enough substance to hold its ingredients together, while still providing that delectable crispy crunch you want!
Grilled Cheese with Spinach and Artichokes
- 1 Griddle Pan
- 1 Large bowl
- 1 Spatula
- Gently mix together spinach, artichokes, cream cheese, mozzarella, Parmesan, garlic powder, pepper and salt in a large bowl until all ingredients are thoroughly blended.
- Evenly spread 1/2 cup of the spinach mixture onto each of 4 slices of bread before topping it with another slice.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 sandwiches to the pan and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Flip each sandwich over spatula. Keep an eye on them while they’re cooking so that you can adjust the temperature as necessary for the cheese melts and filling is hot - usually it takes another 2 or 3 minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 2 sandwiches.
- Replace and serve immediately.
Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese: Using A Grill
Grilling can make your Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese even more enjoyable.
1. Preheat the grill on medium-high heat and brush it with oil.
2. Place the sandwiches on the preheated grill, cover them with a lid, and cook for 2 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
3. Flip each sandwich over using tongs or spatula, cover again with a lid, and cook for another 2 minutes until golden brown and toasty.
4. Remove from grill when done and enjoy warm! If desired, serve with ketchup or any other favorite accompaniment.
With its easy steps and minimal prep time, grilling your Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese is a must-try. Bon Appétit!